This is the first phase of a multi-part project undertaken within HOPIG to produce training modules on a variety of topics of relevance and importance to the HOPIG members.
In this first phase, the project deliverables include a set of two PowerPoint-based training modules that can be used by HOPIG members to train employees and others. They are designed to: (1) be easily adaptable to enable training people with different levels of expertise; (2) be customized for use in different organizations; and (3) be easily adaptable for different training timelines.
The first two modules and their content are described below:
Module 1 – General Features and Role of Hydropower Projects and Systems: this module describes the general features and types of hydropower projects and systems such as:
- Power system operations and the use of hydropower projects in meeting power demands in these various systems.
- Types of hydropower projects (run-of-river, storage, pumped storage, etc.)
- Hydropower project components (turbines, generators, exciters, etc.)
Module 2 – Load-Resource Analysis: this module describes the analysis required to establish the need for the project power output and include information such as:
- Development of power demand (load) and supply (resource) data and information.
- Role and definition of imports, exports, reserve requirements, etc.