This document provides guidance for the development of substation designs for EMI immunity. It reviews the various categories of EMI sources, namely:
- Unintentional electromagnetic interference (EMI)
- Conducted noise from switching transients or lightning surges
- Geomagnetic disturbance (GMD)
- Intentional electromagnetic interference (IEMI)
- High-altitude electromagnetic pulse (HEMP)
Their manifestations and appropriate mitigation techniques are described. Appropriate design and application standards are discussed in each section. This document also includes the results of an informal utility survey and an extensive References section.
Electromagnetic interference, electromagnetic pulse, geomagnetically induced currents, geomagnetic disturbances, switching transients, intentional EMI, coupling, high altitude electromagnetic pulse, electromagnetic compatibility.