The main objective of this study is to provide practical and useful information for utilities in considering an automated monitoring system to receive an exemption from manual battery inspections. The project will also review supplementary information that should be gathered to fully meet the PRC005-02 requirement.
This investigation will achieve the following objectives of the focus area:
- Make appropriate planning decisions around battery repair, refurbishment or
- Develop tools and methodologies to make informed decisions for battery maintenance
programs and criteria for repair/refurbish/replace programs.
- Optimize reliability and availability of station DC supply equipment
- Improve data collection and warehousing of data related to PRC 005-02
- Minimize asset life cycle cost for station batteries by reducing costs related to periodic, manual inspections and logistics associated with managing this work
- Ensure adherence to regulations, by helping CEATI member utilities formulate an effective protection system maintenance plan required by NERC PRC-005-02